This idea came to me as I was thinking of my childhood; every time we visited India I would request Maggi Masala flavoured 2 minute noodles. Something about the flavouring just made me so happy.
As an adult, when masala oats came out, I was overjoyed!
My aim was to finally bake something savoury and so what came to mind was a masala oat slice.
I combined my favourite masala oat recipe with an oatmeal slice to create this delicious thing. If it wasn’t for public consumption I probably would have made it more spicy, but since it was, it isn’t as spicy as I would have liked it.
FYI: Public consumption went down really well. I had to refill the plate!
What you’ll need
- 2 cups Rolled oats
- 1.5 cup Plain Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- Alternatively just use 1 cup of self raising flour
- 250g or equivalent Butter/Margarine/Oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Ground coriander
- Ground cumin
- Red chilli powder
- Tomato paste/ finely chopped tomatoes
- Stock cube
- Garam Masala
- Boiling water
- In a large bowl combine 1.5 cups of rolled oats, flour, (baking powder), brown sugar and a little of all the spices, minus the stock cube
- In a smaller bowl place the rest of the oats (1/2 cup), plenty of the spices, stock cube, garlic and tomato paste and pour boiled water over it until just covered. Allow to soak for about 30 minutes.
- Melt butter or margarine, if using. Make sure your eggs are beaten
- To the dry mix, add butter/margarine/oil, eggs and wet oat mix
- Mix until combined
- Pour into baking pan and allow to cook for 20 minutes
- Cut into whatever sized pieces you’d like