Birthdays, birthdays, birthdays… I love birthdays and everyone deserves to feel special and loved on their birthday.
Last week I ventured into the world of cupcakes for the first time in a while with the intention of icing them and everything to make them special for people’s birthdays.
Personally I love a chocolate cupcake, but this time I decided to go for the lemon cake and lemon icing, with chocolate to write the messages with.
What you’ll need
- 1 cup white sugar
- 125g melted butter (or equivalent)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- Lemon juice (1/4 cup)
- Peel (of the shelf)
- Lemon rind
- Almonds (chopped into tiny pieces or used slivered almonds)
- Walnuts (chopped into tiny pieces)
- White choc chips
- [optional] Lemon icing mixture or:
- ½ cup Icing sugar (have more to the side you may need)
- 1 tbsp Hot water
- 1 tbsp Butter (soft/room temperature)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Lemon rind
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar and butter.
- Beat in the eggs
- Add flour and baking powder to the wet mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the milk until mixture it’s smooth
- Add lemon juice, white choc chips, almonds and walnuts and mix thoroughly
- If you prefer you’re cake more lemony I would recommend adding a bit more lemon juice
- Pour or spoon into lined cupcake/muffin pan
- If you’re using a lemon icing mixture, follow the directions
- If you’re making it from scratch:
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl
- Add softened butter, hot water and lemon juice and rind, mix. Works much better with an electric beater but you can make it work with a fork
- Spread the icing on the cupcakes, or pipe it on if you feel creative.
- For added flare make/get a choc icing mixture and write on ze cupcakes