It definitely has been a while, and this is definitely not the most healthy recipe, but hey, it was fun to make and quite delicious.
Why did i use soda water?
Main reason – i wanted to make my scones easy to make, but not full of the sugar that lemonade inevitably contains.
Convenience – I still bought in stuff to put with the scones but you could also jsut pick one up and your done.
What you’ll need
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup soda water
- Your favourite jam ( I used raspberry)
- Your favourite savoury relish (i used corn relish
- 1 tub ricotta (i used ricotta because it bakes better than most other creamy substances
- Sift plain flour and baking powder into a bowl
- Add cream and soda water and mix with a flat spatula or knife. I found that using a folding motion and occasionally using the spatula to “wipe down” the sides was the easiest way to mix but not overwork the mixture.
- If you trust the cleanliness of your bench top go ahead and spread some flour on it, otherwise grab some baking papers and spread some flour on top of that
- Tip the mixture out onto the floured surface and lightly pat it into a approximately 2 cm thick
- I chose to make them square, to make my life easy, but you can cut them into circles if you prefer
- Use a half table spoon measure to create an indent in the top of the scone to place the fillings
- Use a pastry brush to brush the tops lightly with milk
- Using a 1/4 table spoon measure fill will jam/savoury relish, wash, and use the same spoon for ricotta.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Allow to cool and pack for an easy snack and morning tea favourite!